Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Don't Forget...

Especially as we get older, it seems that we become more forgetful. Forgetful of where we put the keys, forgetting to grab the outgoing mail, and, perhaps most frustratingly, forgetting to get the tartar sauce at the market. I'm no doctor, but hopefully I can help you with some tips on how to remember where you stored the remote last night and not to forget the tartar sauce. Remember, it's all about changing your mindset to be on "organized."

As someone who suffers horribly from ADD, I understand perfectly how invigorating it can be to be doing one thing and then space off into another world. Some things I do to cope with that are to write things down - like to-do lists. If I have a thought of needing to do something I immediately write it down, otherwise chances are high that I will forget. This goes along with a grocery list, a list of the errands I need to run, what I need to do to get out the door in the morning and what to pack for a day of skiing. In this category is also a simple to do list for my daily tasks that need to get done. To do lists are ADD people's saviors, if you ask me!

When I need to do something before I run out the door, or if I need to remember to take something with me when I leave I always set it directly in front of the door or leave a note on the door or in front of it. That way, I have to go out of my way to avoid it. This helps tremendously, but I have noticed that unless I place it in the way of opening the door it doesn't always work. Yesterday I set a sweater on the table next to the door to take with me to a hockey game and completely forgot it. I should have hung it from the door knob.

It definitely helps to be consistent with where you keep things, like keys, the remote control and your shoes. If you constantly move things around I can imagine it would be tough to remember where you left your glasses. In my house, there is only one spot where keys go, one spot where the mail goes - then one spot where it ends up if it remains unopened for more than two days, one spot where the bills go, and one spot where the coupons are stored. This helps me dramatically to remember where I put things - otherwise I'd be useless when it comes to that. But, if you ever wind up on my doorstep, I can tell you where everything in my home is because each item has its own "home."

No comments:

Post a Comment