Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Calendars, Planners, Organizers

The new year has come, and its emergence has dramatically reduced the price of 2009 calendars. This is perfect because now you have fewer excuses to organize your days! There are so many daily organizers out there, like daily planners, a pocket sized calendar, wall calendars, desk-size calendars, cell phones and PDAs, and not to mention your computer and the Internet house several different ways to organize and manage your daily tasks.

Organizing your life and what's going on each day is just as important as organizing your junk drawer. Tardiness, forgetfulness and missed appointments are a product of disorganization.

The overall point is that in order to live an organized life, you have to organize your life, not just your stuff. This starts by keeping track of what needs to be accomplished each day and making sure you are fulfilling your commitments. Whatever method helps you to organize your days is fine by me!

Though my Outlook calendar can be uploaded to my cell phone I prefer to use a day planner to keep track of my appointments. Just as easily I can write in my planner and keep track of my meetings and appointments. This route allows me to put sticky notes on dates with to-do lists or other reminders, which I frequently do. I also like having a day planner because I can stick a map or an invitation in my planner to reference it later on.

I do love the great features that Microsoft Outlook boasts. The program provides an easy way to lay out your tasks in several different views and colors, allows you to create recurring events, and gives you a reminder before you have a meeting or if its someone's birthday. There are several other electronic organizers worth looking into if you're up for trying something new.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alison

    I read your post on the LinkedIn professional group and made a quick trip to your blog. Don't have lots of time to read all your posts, BUT, I do share an interest in getting and staying organized. I find throwing stuff away is my best weapon in this continuing battle.

    Getting people to comment on blog posts is a challenge. I'd suggest posting frequently, and picking juicy, controversial topics. You want to get people riled up, willing to take the time to compose an original post. People are very busy these days, with lots of competing demands on their time. Competing for their attention can be a challenge.

    Good luck!


    Don H.
    Exton, PA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to come across your blog. My year has started so badly I haven't even had time to transfer info into my 2009 Moleskin diary. It's usually a ritual!

    ReplyDelete