Thursday, October 30, 2008

Plan Ahead

This may sound trivial, but planning ahead is one obvious technique of an organized individual. It is possible to plan ahead and be prepared for just about everything. You'll feel and be more organized if you prepare the night before, make shopping lists, check out sales ahead of time, and plan for any situation.

If you are a working family, especially with children, you know that mornings can be a huge hassle and a rush to get everyone out the door on time. Organizing yourself the night before can be your savior. Make everyone's lunch before bed, get the coffee ready for morning, set out your family's outfits and shoes for the next day, put out your running shoes and apparel if you plan to go for a jog in the morning, and of course pack your bag or your kids backpack the night before. The little things like setting out an umbrella if it is supposed to rain, or packing a sweater in your bag can really help you to be organized because you planned ahead for the rain or the chilly morning walk to the bus. Doing things like this will exponentially ease the stress of the mornings as well as allow you to maximize your time.

Grocery store and shopping trips can not only become easier but also less expensive by planning ahead. I have always been conscious of making a grocery list and planning my meals before doing my weekly shopping, but until recently it never dawned on me to plan my meals around what is on sale at the grocery store. If your grocer doesn't send out an ad in the Sunday paper or the mail, check out their website for the list of their sale items for the week. Plan your meals around the foods that are on sale. Don't forget to clip your coupons before your trip to the supermarket, too. This will save you a small fortune.

Aside from the mundane trips to the grocery store, it is always a smart idea to plan your other shopping trips at the mall, the drug store, or wherever else you need to go. Check for the sales here too to better prepare yourself for what to look for, where to shop and how to save the most. Don't forget to make a list. When I am aimlessly wandering through the mall without a purpose I always end up spending more money than I do when I go shopping for specific things.

Without my random lists I would be very disorganized. It helps me to create lists for things like what to pack for a vacation or weekend trip, a day at the beach, ski trips and tailgate parties. I feel like I am more organized by planning ahead and creating a list, which helps me to not forget things along the way.

The plan ahead technique can really be used in most situations, not just getting ready to get out the door in the morning. One thing that differentiates someone who is very organized from someone who is not is her mindset. Someone who is organized is always aware of the little things and the details, she plans ahead for everything and is focused on leading an organized life. It's all about how you think about it. I believe that if you have a disorganized mindset or lead a disorganized life that you can turn it around.

No comments:

Post a Comment